• Your handgun and owners manual
• Handgun must be unloaded and must be in a holster , carrying case, or the original box (Cylinder Open or Slide Locked to Rear).
• If you don't have a handgun please contact me before registration via email or telephone. I will need a minimum of 3 days to get your handgun in for you to use during the Range portion of the Class.
• Factory ammunition. (50 rounds)
• No Reloaded Ammunition, No Tracer Ammo, No Incendiary Ammo, and No Magnum rounds (Brass or Aluminum Casing only no Steel)
• Ammunition MUST NOT be brought into the classroom (Please place in designated spot when you arrive).
• Eye protection
• Ear protection
• Cleaning kit with appropriate size cleaning brush for your firearm. Solvent, Oil or Lube.
• Identification (State issued)
• Proper clothing and footwear for the range.
• Bring your lunch
• Applicant arranges to enroll in one-day training class conducted by Certified Instructor.
• Within five working days after completing the course, the Certified Instructor forwards information regarding the applicant’s pass or fail training status to DOCJT in Richmond.
• Within 15 days of receiving information from the Certified Instructor, the DOCJT will, if the applicant successfully completed the training, issue a Certificate of Training. If the applicant fails the training, the DOCJT will notify the applicant they will not be certified
• Applicant submits Certificate of Training, application material, and $60 fee to sheriff’s office in county in which applicant resides.
• Within 5 working days, the sheriff transmits the application and accompanying materials to the Kentucky State Police (KSP).
• KSP will conduct background check and issue or deny license to applicant within 90 days.
• KSP mails “Flash Pak” to Applicant notifying Applicant to pick up license at sheriff’s office. Applicant becomes licensee and may carry weapon concealed. License must be renewed five years from date of issue
• Special Notice Applicants who are peace officers currently certified by KLEC, or a retired peace officer who is a member of KERS, SPRS, CERS, or other retirement system operated by a city, county or urban-county in KY, do not have to meet the training requirement or pay license fees. HOWEVER, if you do not go thru the Regular CDW Permit process, you will be issued a GREEN CDW and will have to undergo a NICS Background Check each and every time you purchase a firearm or component.
• Is ineligible to possess a firearm under KRS 527.040 (Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon).
• Is ineligible to possess a firearm under federal law (18 U.S.C. sec 922(g) or (n)), which applies to any person who: (1) is under indictment for or has been convicted of any felony; (2) is a fugitive from justice; (3) is an unlawful user of or is addicted to controlled substances; (4) has been judged by a court to be mentally defective or has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution; (5) is an illegal alien; (6) has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions; (7) has renounced United States citizenship; (8) is currently subject to a domestic violence protective order; or (9) has been convicted by any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. For this law to apply, the possession must be in, or affecting, interstate or foreign commerce. Most firearm possession situations meet this requirement.
Within the preceding three years:
• Has been committed for abuse of controlled substances or has been convicted of a misdemeanor involving controlled substances
• Has two or more convictions for motor vehicle DUI or has been committed for alcoholism
• Has been convicted of the misdemeanor of of Assault in the Fourth Degree or Terroristic Threatening
• After a license has been issued, if any of the above takes place, the license will be suspended or revoked.
Current/Retired Military wanting to obtain a CCDW License in KY can by pass the CCDW Class by
presenting an application and one of the following forms:
• Dept. Of Defense Form DD 2586 or DD 214
• Coast Guard Form: CG 3029
• Dept. of the Army Form DA 88-R or DA 5704-R
• Dept. of Navy Form OPNAV 3591-1
• Dept. of Air Force AF 522
*Documentary evidence of an Honorable Discharge and a notarized affidavit on a form provided by the Dept. of Kentucky State Police.
*Application may be obtained at the Sheriff's Office.
The information on this website is provided solely for your convenience and is not intended to constitute a formal legal opinion or legal advice.
By using this site, you acknowledge that you have read the above disclaimer.
The members of KY CCDW are Certified Instructors by the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training only. KY CCDW is not endorsed or affiliated with the Commonwealth of Kentucky in any other way and any representations made herein are those solely of KY CCDW and its members.
o Kentucky Law on Concealed Carry
o The Use and Misuse of Deadly Force
o Legal Liability When Using a Firearm
o Safety at Home, in the Classroom and on the Range
o Holsters, Concealment, Safe Storage and Transport of Firearms
o What to Do When Stopped by Law Enforcement
o Basic Principles of Marksmanship (Stance, Grip, Common Mistakes, etc.)
o Revolver & Semi Auto: Dis-assemble, Cleaning, Parts, Re-assemble
o Exam: 25 Question True/False and Multiple Choice (Passing Score >70%)
o Exam: Field Strip (basic dis-assembly) and Cleaning (Pass/Fail)
o Exam: 20 rounds fired at life-size silhouette at 21 feet, not timed
(Passing Score 55%)
*Retired/Current - MILITARY please see requirements (In Section Above)
I have received information from the:
4402 Kiln Court
Louisville, KY 40218
This used to be the Bluegrass Indoor Range.
To signup and pay for a class at the Louisville Armory:
Go on the internet and type in: Eventbrite
then Louisville Armory
then KYCCDW Class
Select a class which is every Saturday
you can pay online as you register for the class
Cost is $75.00
I was told that there were others out there, but, no one ever contacted me to give me any instructions on their classes.
In the future, I plan on getting the credentials to teach the class myself, but until then, all the people that have been asking me about a class, Here is your information.
All NEW 1st Time CCDW Permit Holders will get a 5% Discount from MSRP for your Concealed Carry Firearm Purchase! Just mention 1st Time CCDW when you make your purchase.
Sign up for a Concealed Carry Permit and KNOW you can PROTECT yourself and family!
Get what you want the way you want.
We happily accept [all major credit cards,
including American Express,] so you can
pay for the things you need in the way
that’s most convenient for you.
Let me get you the exact size handgun that you are comfortable carrying. Don't settle for something too big or too small.